Turkey Breast with Apple Citrus Brine
I've used this recipe previously for smoking a turkey but converted it for sous vide. It's my favorite method for breast meat. The apple and orange flavors complement the natural turkey flavor well without overpowering. The nutmeg and clove can be excluded or substituted, but I find myself making turkey around the holidays and these help to make the season bright -- if you know what I mean.
Prep Time: 00:00
Recipe Time: 04:00
138F / 58.9C
- Boneless Turkey Breast
- 3 Cups Orange Juice
- 3 Cups Apple Juice
- 1 Quart Water
- 1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 10 Whole Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Combine Orange and Apple Juices, cloves and nutmeg in a sauce pan. Simmer 15 minutes. Cool.
- Combine Water, Sugar, and Salt and heat until dissolved. Cool.
- Combine juice mixture and water mixture. Chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Submerge turkey breast in brine for 1-3 days (3 is what I like) in refrigerator.
- Remove breast from brine. Pat dry with paper towel. Place in vacuum bag or ziplock and use water-bath to remove air.
- Set your Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 138ºF / 58.9ºC
- Cook in Sous Vide 138 F for 3 hours.
Finishing Steps - Grill
- Prepare Grill for two zone heating
- Remove from vacuum bag - retain liquid for gravy.
- Pat dry with paper towel. (A drier surface allows for faster browning without over cooking your meat.)
- Grill Breast to desired crispness. Recommended 2 minutes per side.