Sous Vide Sweet And Sour Pork Shank With Chanterelle Glaze
Sous Vide Pork Shanks is the unctuous and delicious centerpiece of a great meal. The pork is cooked with a spicy pickle brine. Add a sweet and sour glaze made with the juices from the bag and fresh chanterelles. Then top with lightly pickled red onions, cilantro, and green onions to bring a crunch and brightness to the dish.
The meat will be shockingly fork tender and fall off the bone with a sweet and spicy matrix of spices.
A self-described traveler, drinker, eater, writer, photographer, and adventurer, Zach knows when good food is on the horizon he'll turn to his Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to ensure it's perfectly done time after time.
Prep Time: 00:05
Recipe Time: 24:00
155F / 68.3C
- Two 1 pound Pork Shanks, skin on
- 2 cups Pickle Brine (see recipe in directions)
- Pickled Red Onions
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Onion
- 1 cup chanterelle mushrooms
- Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 155°F / 68.3°C
- Place Pork Shanks in the bag with 2 cups of Pickle Brine.
(Pickle Brine recipe: 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 cup Boiling Water, 1/3 cup Smoked Brown Sugar, 1/8 cup Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce, 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds, 2 Star Anise, 6 Allspice Berries, 2 Dried Thai Chilis, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 2 Bay Leaves)
- Set timer for 24 hours and cover bath in foil.
- Preheat your oven on its highest setting.
- Remove the Shanks from the bag and place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Place in the oven for <20 minutes or until nicely browned and the skin has crisped up nicely.
- In the meantime, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted Butter in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in the jus from the bag in batches. Once it's nicely blended, add 1 cup of fresh Chanterelles and simmer until the liquid is reduced by at least 2/3. You want a shiny glaze that'll coat a wooden spoon.
- Remove the Shanks form the oven and place in a serving platter. Pour all the Chanterelle Glaze over the Shanks.
- Optional: Garnish with lightly pickled Red Onions, fresh Cilantro leaves, and diced Green Onion.