Sous Vide Venison Pastele Stew
Tender venison stew chunks infused with classic Puerto Rican flavors come together in this rich Pastele Stew, a long-time Hawaiʻi favorite cooked Sous Vide. Pastele Stew has a long history here in Hawaiʻi, stretching back to the plantation era, with so many recipe variations from family to family. Building on this rich history, Kuʻulani offers up a wild addition to the masa mix and adds in the simple precision of cooking Sous Vide.
Prep Time: 00:30
Recipe Time: 06:00
130F / 54.4C
- 2 packs of venison stew chunks (link to Anova Box)
- 1 pack of bone broth
- Avocado oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 2 packets achiote powder
- 1 can black olives, drained
- ½ can of 6 oz Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 bundle chopped cilantro or sprigs for garnish
- Optional if adding Masa:
- 4 green cooking bananas
- 1 Tbs achiote oil (if you canʻt source oil, achiote oil is very easy to make at home by boiling 1 Tbs of annatto seeds in ½ cup of vegetable oil. Be careful not to spill, annatto will stain everything).
- Set your Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 130ºF / 54.4ºC
- Season stew chunks with salt & pepper to taste while allowing venison to come to room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Heat avocado oil in saucepan over medium high heat, brown stew chunks until well seared on all sides (about 2-3 minutes on each side).
- Add bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 min more.
- Turn off heat. Add cumin, oregano, olives, bone broth, tomato paste, achiote powder, and water. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer entire mixture into a large bag and seal using water immersion technique. Place in water bath and set timer for 6 hours
- Optional Steps for Masa:
Prepare masa by cutting slits in the skin and down the sides of the green bananas and cover in boiling water for 10 minutes. Once cooled, peel bananas and mix finely grated bananas with 1 Tbs of achiote oil. Add to sous vide bag mixture. Stir well.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.