Sous Vide Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
This recipe for Sous Vide Teriyaki Chicken was created by Vicki and Alan, a couple from our #anovafoodnerd family and the creators of the Cast Iron Cookie blog. These Teriyaki chicken bowls feature perfectly cooked chicken, a 63 degree egg, deliciously rich and salty teriyaki sauce served with a side of quick homemade pickles to balance everything out.
Cast Iron Cookie
Cast Iron Cookie is a website devoted to fresh, delicious and easy dairy-free recipes created by Vicki and Alan, a husband and wife team who love making and devouring good food. They are a part of the #anovafoodnerd family and currently live in Auckland, New Zealand.
Prep Time: 00:05
Recipe Time: 00:50
145.4F / 63C
- 4 medium-sized chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sake
- 2 tbps rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white rice
- --For the Pickled Veggies--
- 600 grams veggies, finely sliced (2 part carrot and cucumber, 1 part red onion and daikon)
- Equal parts water and vinegar to cover (about a cup of each)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat your water bath to 145.4ºF / 63ºC while you prep the marinade in the next step.
- Place the marinade ingredients (soy sauce, sake, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, black pepper, ginger, garlic, optional chili powder) in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the marinade into a vacuum or zip lock bag with the chicken thighs, then drop the bag into the water bath.
- Gently place the eggs in the same water bath - no bag is necessary.
- Let the chicken and eggs cook in the water bath for 50 minutes.
Finishing Steps - Stovetop
- While the chicken and eggs cook, prepare the white rice and pickled veggies. Place the vegetables and other pickling ingredients in a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then move off the heat. Cover and leave to cool while the chicken cooks. (We like to throw some ice in prior to serving so that they're cold next to the hot chicken).
- Once the chicken and eggs are done, remove from the water bath. Set the eggs aside for now. Remove the chicken from the bag and pour the marinade into a bowl–you'll need to use the marinade for the sauce.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, season lightly with salt.
- Mix the cornflour and water to create a cornstarch slurry, then stir it into the marinade until it's formed a thickened sauce.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and place the chicken in to fry about 2 minutes per side to color. Add the sauce in the last minute on the second side and toss to coat the chicken.
- Remove the chicken. Taste sauce for seasoning and sweetness - adding salt or sugar as required. Continue to cook and reduce sauce for desired consistency and flavor, then remove from heat.
- Drain pickled veggies.
- Slice chicken and serve over white rice with sauce spooned over and pickles on the side. Create a well in the rice, and crack the egg straight in. Season with salt and pepper and serve.