Sous Vide Porcini Crusted Strip Steak with Duck Fat Seared Mushroom and Asparagus
Whole30 approved, and more delicious than it has any right being! Perfectly cooked steak courtesy of your Anova Sous Vide Precision cooker paired with `wicked flavorful mushrooms and asparagus cooked in duck fat.
Cole Wagoner developed a deep appreciation and high expectations for the quality of food during his years living in Portland, a city with some serious food game. When Cole met the girl of his dreams, he followed her across the country from his beloved home state of Oregon, to a small town in Alabama. The only thing missing seemed to be the glorious abundance of grub he’d previously enjoyed, which took a bit more of a drive to find in his new neck of the woods. So began Cole’s journey for the perfect kitchen tool companion to help him recreate food experiences from the comfort of his home, while snapping epic food photos along the way, and that journey has ultimately landed him in the Anova Kitchen where he handles all things social media for Anova.
Prep Time: 00:15
Recipe Time: 04:00
- Medium rare - Tender and juicy
- 129F / 53.9C
- 1 New York Strip steak, 1-2" thick
- 1 tablespoon porcini powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher/sea salt
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz asparagus
- 2-3 tablespoons duck fat
- Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 129°F / 53.9°C.
- Combine salt and porcini powder in small bowl. Season steak liberally with mixture. Place steak in resealable ziplock bag or vacuum bag.
- Place steak in water bath and sous vide for 4 hours.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed/cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon duck fat and mushrooms to pan. Sauté 3-5 min until golden and tender. Add asparagus to pan (and more duck fat if necessary) and sauté until asparagus is bright green and tender. Season with salt, and remove from pan.
- When the 4 hour sous vide cook is up, remove steak from bag. Dry surface of steak well with paper towels and add more porcini/salt mixture.
- Carefully wipe out pan, add 1 tablespoon of duck fat and heat until smoking. Place steak in pan and sear each side for 1 minute.
- Slice steak, and plate!