Sous Vide Poached Whole Chicken
The Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker provides a foolproof path to perfect poached chicken. The consistent temperature ensures even cooking throughout, with white and dark meat equally moist and tender. This technique also provides the foundation for hundreds of possible recipes — chicken noodle soup, chicken pot pie, and even fried chicken — but one of our favorite uses is the simplest. Finish the vegetables with a quick roast in the oven and reduce the aromatic cooking stock into a silky-smooth, umami-rich gravy.
Founder of Feed Me Creative, a culinary content studio in Kansas City, MO.
For more information, visit www.feedmecreative.com or find us on Instagram @feedmecreative.
Prep Time: 00:45
Recipe Time: 06:00
150F / 65.6C
- 1 whole bone-in chicken (4lbs), trussed
- 1 quart chicken stock, low-sodium
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups thick-sliced carrots
- 2 cups thick-sliced celery
- 2 cups thick-sliced leeks
- .5 ounces dried mushrooms (e.g. porcini, chanterelle, shiitake)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 150°F (65.5°C).
- Combine chicken, stock, soy sauce, herbs, and vegetables in a large Ziplock or vacuum bag. Seal the bag and place in the water bath. Set the timer for 6 hours.
Finishing Steps — Oven
- Carefully remove the chicken and set aside. Strain out vegetables (reserving the cooking liquid), pat dry, and season with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the oven at 450 degrees on a sheet tray until cooked through and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Finishing Steps — Stovetop
- In a large sauce pan, simmer the cooking liquid until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove sauce from the heat and whisk in butter.
Finishing Steps — Plating
- Carve the chicken, discarding the skin. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the roasted vegetables and chicken between four warm plates and finish with sauce and fresh thyme.