Sous Vide Momofuku Style Fried Chicken
Adapted from Chef David Chang, of Momofuku fame's signature fried chicken recipe, he serves a whole chicken two ways. 1/2 traditional southern style, and 1/2 Korean style with a killer sticky and sweet glaze. The Anova Precision Cooker cooks the chicken perfectly, allowing you to fry with no fear of over or undercooking.
Cole Wagoner developed a deep appreciation and high expectations for the quality of food during his years living in Portland, a city with some serious food game. When Cole met the girl of his dreams, he followed her across the country from his beloved home state of Oregon, to a small town in Alabama. The only thing missing seemed to be the glorious abundance of grub he’d previously enjoyed, which took a bit more of a drive to find in his new neck of the woods. So began Cole’s journey for the perfect kitchen tool companion to help him recreate food experiences from the comfort of his home, while snapping epic food photos along the way, and that journey has ultimately landed him in the Anova Kitchen where he handles all things social media for Anova.
Prep Time: 01:00
Recipe Time: 03:00
150F / 65.6C
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces.
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Set your Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 150ºF / 65.6ºC
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup salt to 4 cups warm water. Add chicken to brine and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from brine, and place in resealable ziplock or vacuum bag.
- Place in water bath and sous vide for 3 hours.
- While the chicken is cooking, assemble your glaze. Add garlic, ginger, serrano pepper, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, oil, sesame oil, sugar, and black pepper and shake/stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from water bath.
- Soak 1/2 of the chicken in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Set aside other 1/2 of chicken.
- Add chicken from buttermilk to mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt, and garlic powder. Dredge until covered, then set aside for 15 minutes for batter to adhere,
- Heat tall-sided pot or fryer to 375°F / 190°C. Add battered chicken to pot and cook 6-8 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Take the remaining "naked" chicken and add to oil. Fry 6-8 minutes until golden and crispy. Immediately toss this chicken in your sauce from above and serve hot alongside the crispy southern fried chicken!