Sous Vide Fried Chicken Wings
We tested loads of fried chicken over the last couple of weeks to get to our final time and temperature selection. This fried chicken is much healthier than your standard fare. To make it extra awesome we present you with a variety of tips and tricks on our blog, castironcookie.com, which also includes gluten-free options and homemade sauces.
Cast Iron Cookie
Cast Iron Cookie is a website devoted to fresh, delicious and easy dairy-free recipes created by Vicki and Alan, a husband and wife team who love making and devouring good food. They are a part of the #anovafoodnerd family and currently live in Auckland, New Zealand.
Prep Time: 00:10
Recipe Time: 03:00
154.4F / 68C
- 8 pieces chicken (light or dark meat)
- Salt and Pepper to season
- 2 cups / 473 ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 cup / 340 g plain high protein flour (for a gluten-free version, swap the regular flour for an additional cup of rice flour)
- 1 cup / 340 g rice flour (or another cup of the plain high protein flour)
- ½ cup / 170 g cornstarch or cornflour
- 2 tbsp / 15 g paprika
- 2 tbps / 15 g Salt
- 2 tbsp / 15 g ground black pepper
- Heat your Precision Cooker to 154.4ºF / 68ºC.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and seal it in a resealable or vacuum sealing bag. resealable zipper locking bag or vacuum sealed bag.
- Cook 3 hours for dark meat, 1 hour for light.
Finishing Steps - Stovetop
- Remove the chicken and set the chicken aside for 15-20 minutes while you prep fryer. For best results you want it warm, but not hot.
NOTE - at this stage you can stop cooking, put the chicken in the fridge, and come back any time in the next 2-3 days to finish the rest of the recipe.
- Preheat your oil to 205 - 220 C (400 - 425 F).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk and acid and set aside. In a second large bowl, do the same with the dry mix.
- One piece at a time, dredge the chicken, moving it from the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Repeat 2-3 times, then place on a wire rack.
- Fry the chicken in small batches of 2-3 pieces, for 3-4 minutes each until nicely browned. Set on a wire rack over a sheet pan once cooked and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot - plain, with lemon wedges or your favorite sauce.