Sous Vide Classic French Dip with Au Jus
A great sandwich can make the whole day better. The classic Los Angeles staple -- the FrenchDip -- is a great sandwich. It’s the marrying of soft bread, melty cheese, and perfectly cooked beef. With all of that in mind, let’s jump into the nitty-gritty of making the perfect sous vide French DipAu Jus with your Anova Precision Cooker.
A self-described traveler, drinker, eater, writer, photographer, and adventurer, Zach knows when good food is on the horizon he'll turn to his Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to ensure it's perfectly done time after time.
Prep Time: 00:15
Recipe Time: 02:30
140F / 60C
- 2 lb./ 1kg Top Blade Chuck Roast
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Sage
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Finishing Ingredients: Yellow Onion
- 1⁄4 cup/ 60ml Red Wine
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Swiss Cheese
- 1 cup/240ml Beef Broth
- Set your Anova Precision Cooker for 140F/60C
- Pat the chuck roast dry with a towel and truss the beef with twine.
Salt and pepper generously.
- Heat a skillet to piping hot. Add a large knob of butter, fresh herbs, and garlic to the pan. Sear the chuck roast until well-browned.
- Remove the herbs, garlic, and chuck from the skillet and let rest for a few minutes before bagging.
Remove the air and seal the bag.
- Drop the bag into the water bath and set a time for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chuck roast and wrap in foil and set aside. Pour the contents of the bag into the skillet you used to sear the meat, add the beef broth, and bring to a simmer. Don't reduce too much, you're making jus, not gravy.
- Slice one yellow onion into rings.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil and sweat the onions until they just start to brown.
- Add butter and wine and simmer completely off until onions are soft. Set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Unwrap the beef and slice in deli thin slices.
- Cut the baguette length-wise and pile on the beef, onions, and Swiss cheese.
- Melt the cheese either with a torch or under a broiler. *Be sure not to start cooking the meat again.
- Put everything together and enjoy your French Dip Au Jus!