Sous Vide Chicken with Melted Leeks and Panko
I love texture in my recipes and sometimes all it takes is some well-toasted panko, which I mix with cheddar in this recipe. I've always liked the combination of leeks and cheese and it succeeds here. Enjoy for a mid-week meal with your family or friends.
I grew up in a cooking family and after getting a degree in Spanish and Anthropology, realized what I really wanted to do was to go to culinary school. After working in a NYC bank for a few years, I managed to get to culinary school and got my first jobs in NYC kitchens, including a long stint at Union Square Cafe in its earliest years. After (sadly) leaving NYC, I realized I needed to step away from the 80-hour work weeks, so I left the heat of the kitchen for the cool of the computer keyboard: I started writing about food, the business of food, and technology in the food industry, as well as teaching cooking classes. Recipe development remains one of my top loves, and the opportunity to develop recipes for Anova has been fun every step of the way.
Prep Time: 00:15
Recipe Time: 00:45
- Medium - 1” or less - Very soft and juicy
- 145.4F / 63C
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 1 large leek, cleaned and sliced crossways
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) panko
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- Heat water to 63ºC (145.4 F) using Anova Precision Cooker.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and seal into zip-close plastic bag using water immersion method to create vacuum. Place in hot water and cook 45 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, make "melted" leeks: Heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter in skillet. Add leeks, stir to coat with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In clean skillet, heat remaining tablespoon (15 ml) butter over medium heat. Add panko and toast, stirring constantly, until panko is golden.
- Spoon panko into bowl and toss with cheddar and chopped parsley.
Finishing Steps Stovetop:
- When chicken is done, remove from water. Remove breasts from bag and gently pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over high heat. When oil is almost smoking, sear chicken breast 1 minute each side.
- To serve, place each chicken breast on top of melted leeks. Top each breast with 1/4 of toasted panko/cheese mixture. Serve immediately.