Sous Vide Artichoke Risotto
If you, like us, love artichoke hearts but don’t really love them from the can, try preparing your own with the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker. These were perfect for a creamy spring pea risotto.
Emily Farris and Jeff Akin
Emily Farris and Jeff Akin are Feed Me Creative — a culinary content studio in Kansas City's historic West Bottoms that specializes in recipe development, food styling, and photography. (We're also really good eaters!)
Prep Time: 00:45
Recipe Time: 01:30
180F / 82.2C
- 4 fresh artichoke hearts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced leeks
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sweet green peas, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 180°F (82.2°C).
- Season the artichoke hearts with salt and pepper and place in a large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag with 2 tablespoons butter. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique or a vacuum sealer on the dry setting. Place the bag in the water bath and set the timer for 1 1/2 hours.
- When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Remove the artichoke hearts and slice into 1-inch pieces. Discard cooking liquid.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and thyme. Continue to cook until rice begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to a rapid simmer. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Stir in about 1 cup stock and return to a rapid simmer. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Continue to add chicken stock about 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is al dente.
- Remove from the heat and stir in peas, Parmesan, and artichoke hearts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives and serve.