Sous Vide Olive Oil Poached Trout
If you don't have a friend that loves to hunt and fish, you need to find one — pronto.
Recently, some of my family came for a visit and brought with them some fresh caught trout. Naturally, they were curious to see what I could do with it.
I knew the trout would make fora perfect chance to show off my Anova Precision Cooker. For a simply delicious recipe with simple ingredients, try this Sous Vide Olive Oil Poached Trout.
Christian. Disabled veteran. Father. Named "One of the 10 best cooks in America" by Food Network, World Food Championship Qualified.
Prep Time: 00:15
Recipe Time: 00:25
127F / 52.8C
- 2 whole freshwater trout, cleaned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (6-ounce) jar basil pesto or 2/3 cup homemade basil pesto
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 127ºF (52ºC).
- Season the trout with salt and pepper and place each fish in its own large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to each bag. Seal the bags using the water immersion technique or a vacuum sealer on the moist setting. Place bags in the water bath and set the timer for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, remove the bags from the water bath. Carefully remove the fish from the bags. Gently remove the meat from the bones, keeping the fish in individual filets.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is shimmering, add the trout filets and sear until golden brown, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and serve with the basil pesto.