Sous Vide Butternut Squash Soup with Almond Puree
This easy butternut squash soup with almond puree is perfect for a cool fall day. Since it is made sous vide, the nutrients will not escape — making this a delicious and nutritious recipe.
The almond puree compliments the apples and butternut squash flavour and gives this delicious soup a bit of a twist. Enjoy this recipe with grilled cheese for a delectable lunch or as a starter with a beef or chicken dinner. The enture family will love it!
Prep Time: 00:20
Recipe Time: 01:45
185F / 85C
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, warmed
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 185ºF (85ºC).
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and sauté until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a large zipper lock or vacuum seal bag. Add the squash, apple, carrot, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique or a vacuum sealer on the moist setting.
- Place the bag in the water bath and set the timer for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- While the squash is make the almond puree: Blend the almonds and 2 tablespoons water in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Transfer entire contents of the bag to a blender and add the stock. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Add additional stock, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve soup topped with a dollop of almond puree.