Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon - Medium Rare
Sous vide filet mignon cooked medium rare finished with a blue cheese crust. This is a simple recipe that results in a perfectly cooked prime cut of beef and has a high-end and fancy elevated finish. You can have the steakhouse experience at home.
career mommy | home cook | sous vide | craft cocktails | food art | plating videos
Prep Time: 00:20
Recipe Time: 02:00
131F / 55C
- 2.5 lbs - Filet mignon cut into 2 inch steaks
- 1 Tsp - Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp - Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp - Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsps - Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsps - Butter
- 1/2 cup - Gorgonzola Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup - Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tbsp - Chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp - Olive Oil
- Set your Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 55ºC / 131.0ºF
- Season steaks with salt, garlic powder, and pepper on both sides.
- Place steaks into plastic bag. Drop into water bath once optimal temperature has reached 55C / 131F. Cook for 1.5 - 2 hours depending on thickness of steaks.
- Remove steaks from plastic bag and pat dry with paper towels.
Finishing Step - Stovetop Sear
- Heat large cast iron skillet on highest setting until skillet starts to smoke. Add 2 tbsps of canola oil and gently lay steaks into skillet. Add butter and let sear for 45 seconds. Flip steaks and sear for an additional 45 seconds. Sear the remaining sides of steaks for 15 seconds each until all sides are brown. Take steaks off skillet and place on a baking pan.
Finishing Step - Blue Cheese Crust
- Preheat oven with broiler on high. In a small bowl, mix crumbled gorgonzola, panko, chives, and olive oil.
- Divide the mixture and pack onto the top of the cooked steaks in an even layer from edge to edge.
- Place the pan of steaks into the oven. Broil on high on middle rack for 2 - 2.5 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Rotate the pan as necessary to adjust for hot spots from the broiler. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to rest before serving.
- Serve as is or slice and serve.