Sous Vide Short Rib Beef Stroganoff
With the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker, you can take Beef Stroganoff to an entirely new level. For this recipe, we are using well-marbled boneless beef short ribs cooked sous vide for 48 hours with mushrooms, stock, and onions, resulting in perfectly tender meat and an intensely flavored cooking liquid, which forms the base of the best Stroganoff versions we've ever had.
Founder of Feed Me Creative, a culinary content studio in Kansas City, MO.
For more information, visit www.feedmecreative.com or find us on Instagram @feedmecreative.
Prep Time: 00:45
Recipe Time: 48:00
132F / 55.6C
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound quartered mushrooms (white button or cremini)
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (trust us on this one)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 quart low-sodium beef stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream for serving
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 132°F (55.5°C).
- Season the beef liberally with salt. In a large non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and sear beef on all sides until golden brown.
- Set meat aside, add mushrooms and onions to pan and saute until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine, mustard, Worcestershire, ketchup, thyme, and beef stock and remove from the heat.
- Add beef and cooking liquid to a vacuum or Ziploc plastic bag, seal, and cook for 48 hours.
Finishing Steps — Stovetop
- Remove beef from the cooking liquid and set aside. In a large pan, reduce cooking liquid over medium-high heat until reduced by two-thirds and coating the back of a spoon.
- Add cream and meat to pan and simmer for one minute.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve warm over buttered egg noodles. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and minced fresh thyme.